Virtual desktop interface is a form of desktop virtualization, whereas desktop virtualization is itself a different entity that is separated with others.
VDI create a virtual machine and execute the user's desktop inside it, whereas desktop virtualization allows running the customized desktop without any virtual machines.
VDI works only for few users that have different demands but it is unsuitable to meet all the demands for all users, whereas desktop virtualization meet and provide all the required features to the user.
Citrix xen provides high end functionalities to the user for desktop virtualization. It also provide the following features such as:
• High definition user experience: it provides high end multimedia graphics, real time collaborations and connectivity through peripherals. It provides breadth and depth for easy viewing of high end 3D graphics.
• FlexCast: provides fast delivery of the new technology that enables the delivery of hosted models to meet the requirement of the users.
• On demand apps: citrix provide the provision for on demand application to the users. It also provides the provision to manage the functionalities of applications on virtual desktops.
Desktop virtualization provides the desktop operating system its environment and applications from the datacenter, whereas application virtualization only brings application from the datacenter.
Desktop virtualization brings only the desktop features not the application related to it, whereas application keep the desktop separate and bring only those applications that are required at a particular time. This way optimization and efficiency can be maintained.
Citrix xen desktop virtualization comes in different flavors and they are as follows:
1. Express edition- this is the edition which is a trial version and user can use it for 10 days. It has limitation as well on the usage.
2. VDI (virtual desktop interface) provides scalability and also virtual desktops using the client-server model.
3. Enterprise edition- it has all the tools available for customization and it is a cost-effective platform that provides flexibility, scalability and delivery of applications without any hassles.
4. Platinum edition- it is a complete package to deliver full performance monitor, Qos capabilities and services for end-to-end delivery. It has support for virtual desktop support.
Xen is an open-source hypervisor that is somehow appealed to Citrix developers and Citrix Cloud services are based on further development of this hypervisors only. Xen being an open-source project has contributors from around the world. This is the only major open-source hypervisor that supports Dom-0. Thus it is the best choice for cloud developers till date.
Virtual desktop infrastructure is the practice of hosting a desktop operating system within a virtual machine running on a hosted, centralized or remote server. The term was coined by VMware Inc. Microsoft included a technology called virtual desktop infrastructure in Windows Server 2008. Intel has built hardware virtualization support into its processors, citing a growing need for client-hosted virtualization. Yes, virtual Desktop Infrastructure is provided by Citrix as Citrix Xen Desktop.
The Netscaler technology resolves issues of low speed internet and low bandwidth that needs to stream a desktop from a centralized server. This provides slow streaming compliance on the virtualization solution to provide optimum support and feature on the client machine.
The On-demand Apps feature in FlexCast delivery is a feature provided by Citrix Xen Desktop to deliver software applications on a client request for usage. These applications are packaged as images which are isolated and independent to the compatible hardware. On-demand applications could be like a Microsoft office application running on Linux machine.
There are multiple choices of Hypervisors that comes along Citrix Xen Desktop solutions.
• XenDesktop on XenServer by Citrix
• XenDesktop on Hyper-V by Microsoft
• XenDesktop on V-Sphere by VmWare
These are the three major players in cloud computing solution industries and XenDesktop is supported by all three of them.
Citrix Xen Desktop comes with an integrated hardened SSL VPN with advanced, policy-based access control lets you give users encrypted access to desktops, applications, and valuable intellectual property from anywhere while eliminating the risk of data theft or loss. Centralized data control provides high security compliance.