1. Do you know what is building certificate?

This is a Certificate of non-action by Council stating that Council will not require the demolition or rectification of structures outlined in the Building Certificate. Often the certificate is requested on the sale or purchase of a property. The certificate is not a Development Consent and in the case of illegal building works, additional fees to accompany the Building Certificate application may be required to be paid to Council. The certificate also does not represent a detailed building inspection report but rather addresses any illegal building works or major structural matters that may require the building to be upgraded, altered or demolished.

2. What is change order?

When an owner requests a change to the construction contract, the impacts to the scope, cost and schedule are documented and incorporated into the contract via a change order. Unit prides itself on having very few change orders as a result of the thoroughness of the design-build process. Please ask our customers about their change order experience. There should be no surprises.

3. Do you know what is design build?

Design-build is a construction delivery system where a single source is responsible for design, construction and warranty, including:

►Architecture and all engineering drawings
►Pricing at the preliminary drawing phase, or in some cases, after seeing the site civil drawings
►All management and construction through project completion
►As-built drawings and a comprehensive Owner's Manual containing subcontractor and supplier list, warranty and maintenance information and finish schedules.

5. Tell us does a building consent have a limited life?

A building consent lapses and is of no effect if the building work to which it relates does not commence within 12 months after the date of issue of the building consent, or any further period that the building consent authority may allow. If building work does commence within 12 months, then the owner has 2 years from the date of the granting of the building consent to complete the building work before the building consent authority will follow up on the building consent and decide whether or not to issue a code compliance certificate. A building consent authority can agree to an extension to the 2-year period.

6. What is issuing building consent?

Issuing occurs once the building consent authority has granted the building consent, produced the relevant documentation and attached other relevant information such as the PIM and development contribution notice.

7. What is granting building consent?

A building consent is granted when the decision is made that the application complies with the requirements of the Building Code and the building levy is paid.

8. Do you know how I object to a notified development?

The first step you should undertake to object to a notified development is to come in to Council Chambers and discuss the issues you are objecting to with Council's Building Services Section. One of Council's Building Surveyors will be happy to discuss the Development with you and explain any questions you may have. If you still have an objection, please submit this objection in writing to Council. Should you wish to remain confidential, please advise Council of this in your objection as objections are generally made available to the public.

9. Do you know what is Complying Development?

Is low impact type of development, which can be approved by either Council or other accredited private certified without notification of neighbours and with pre-determined conditions of consent. Council and other accredited certifiers can assess these applications and they have a 7-10 working day turn around time for approvals, subject to requirements of assessment.

10. Do you know what is Exempt Development?

Minor development that does not require any approvals are regarded as Exempt Development.

Download Interview PDF