1. A client is taking fluoxetine hydrochloride (Prozac) for treatment of depression. The client asks the nurse when the maximum therapeutic response occurs. The nurses best response is that the maximum therapeutic response for fluoxetine hydrochloride may occur in the:
* A. 10-14 days
* B. First week
* C. Third week
* D. Fourth week
C. Third week
* A. dykinesia
* B. glaucoma
* C. hypotension
* D. respiratory depression
* A. "I need to restrict eating any foods that contain salt."
* B. "If I forget a dose, I can double the dose the next time I take it."
* C. "I'll call my doctor right away for any vomiting, severe hand tremors, or muscle weakness."
* D. "I should increase my fluid”
C. "I'll call my doctor right away for any vomiting, severe hand tremors, or muscle weakness."
4. The client with depression has been hospitalized for 3 days on the psychiatric unit. This is the second hospitalization during the past year. The physician orders a different drug, tranylcypromine sulfate (Parnate), when the client does not respond positively to a tricyclic antidepressant. Which of the following reactions should the client is cautioned about if her diet includes foods containing tryaminetyramine?
* A. Heart block
* B. Grand mal seizure
* C. Respiratory arrest
* D. Hypertensive crisis
D. Hypertensive crisis
* A. Increasingly agitated behavior
* B. Markedly increased food intake
* C. Sudden increase in blood pressure
* D. Anorexia with nausea and vomiting
D. Anorexia with nausea and vomiting
* A. Nuts
* B. Aged cheeses
* C. Grain cereals
* D. Reconstituted milk
B. Aged cheeses
* A. Abnormal thought form
* B. Hallucinations and delusions
* C. Bizarre behavior
* D. Asocial behavior and anergia
D. Asocial behavior and anergia
8. A client comes to the outpatient mental health clinic 2 days after being discharged from the hospital. The client was given a 1-week supply of clozapine (Clozaril). The nurse reviews information about clozapine with the client. Which client statement indicates an accurate understanding of the nurses teaching about this medication?
* A.” I need to call my doctor in 2 weeks for a checkup."
* B. "I need to keep my appointment here at the hospital this week for a blood test."
* C. "I can drink alcohol with this medication."
* D. "I can take over-the-counter sleeping medication if I have trouble sleeping."
B. "I need to keep my appointment here at the hospital this week for a blood test."
* a. Electrocardiogram (ECG)
* b. Urine sample for protein
* c. Thyroid scan
* d. Creatinine clearance test
a. Electrocardiogram (ECG)
* A. An elevated blood glucose level
* B. Insomnia
* C. Hypertension
* D. Urinary retention
D. Urinary retention